Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Redneck Nietzschean Summer and Other Considerations...



This picture basically should sum up my aesthetic this summer (except NO Tennessee flag, as Tn "sucks in the summer" and I am from the Natural State) .
So this will be my redneck summer. Not quiet the summer of George but it will have to suffice. I have decided that this is my summer to go a little crazy and mark my passage into my "mid-twenties." I am going to garden, drink beer, jog (not very redneck I know), and wear my boots and jeans and t-shirts. I am planning a possible road trip to west Texas with C.B. and think that this will be the summer when I need to buy a gun rack even if I don't have a gun or a truck to hang it in. This will be my Nietzschean summer as well. I have become very sympathetic with the idea that it is not the Socratic quest for self-knowledge that drives us but the Nietzschean notion off self-creation, of living life aesthetically (and not epistemologically) that should be my goal. So yeah, I am going to try and meld living life with a few rough edges and dirt with the notion of self-actualization. I think the two go hand and hand personally. The vita contemplativia is just not enough anymore. Ok, I am kinda hungover and now just simply ranting.
Another things that excited me about my return to LR is the fact that there are some hot races going on right now. I am especially interested in a judicial race and also ballot initiative to instate a lottery. As a man with a Methodist upbringing I am against gambling (unless it is horse racing in H.S. in which case it is ok because god always punishes me for being a sinner by making me hungover and broke afterwards). Take that bullshit to Mississippi where it belongs. But needless to say I am stoked about voting. Hella stoked! I like to vote. I think it is the pinnacle of being a U.S. citizen. While I am well aware of the cosmopolitan movement amongst my colleagues (and the general notion amongst intellectuals in general) I am proud of being an American. We got our problems (hell at least we aint Myanmar) but I cannot imagine feeling to bad about this country when you vote. I mean, I get pissed as hell pretty often but i feel like I make a difference when I stand in that little blue booth, mark my ballot, stick it in the reader, and get my "Fuck yeah! I voted!" sticker.
I am not looking forward to heat though.

No comments: