Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My job...

So I am on my third day of orientation for work. I am a service coordinator dealing with deaf children who also happen to have behavioral issues. This means that they get violent. I am not going to say that I have the best jobs in the world but I do have interesting ones. For instance, for this job I have spent the last two days learning how to take down violent kids without hurting them. Most of which revolves around the P.R.T. (the Primary Restraint Technique). It looks like this.
There are also ways to break holds, take kids to the ground, and deflect punches/kicks. This might be the job I need so that I can take down E in a one on one battle. Prison vs In-Patient Rehabilitation Centers. Texas vs Arkansas. Whitman vs Rorty. Truly monumental. I still think he would win. But that is another issue. The job itself will be good for me. I like kids. I am patient with them and they are always good for a laugh. I also have to admit that the circumstances will lend themselves to my less than bright and sunny shiny sense of humor. I will let my loyal readers know how it goes as it unfolds.
I want a dog.
My roommate bought a gun.
Lots of rain today.
Been thinking about the City a lot. Was at a party the other night where someone had a huge aerial photograph looking south from the Flat Iron building. I did not have to count very long before I found 14th and 5th and that hideous building that I have been buzzed in so many times. I need to come visit. But money first.
Have started running as I am fat. This is a good thing.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Can't wait to see you, brother.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was just talking about you the other day because I had to roll with a guy that was exactly your size and build. It was an interesting test of juijitsu, as that is the whole purpose - to be able to equalize a situation for a small guy like me to a big guy. It worked quite well.

Yew Norker said...

prone restraint strategy in the news, an article in the Times the other day:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/opinion/28thu2.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin