Saturday, December 20, 2008

Another post where I go on and on about myself...

Because this is what makes me authentic. I have heard that Lionel Trilling has a book called Sincerity and Authenticity. It talks about our ideas of a moral self have moved from one where we strove for sincerity to one where we strove for authenticity. I am not sure (as i have not read it yet) but I would hope that Trilling deems this to be a bad thing. I have put this book in my Christmas reading list. Hopefully Santa will get it for me.
I love Batman. I think he is awesome but another hero is slowly making his way into my hard cold heart. The Daredevil: Many Without Fear. Why would I let this "super"hero (and a marvel one at that!) do this to me? Well I suppose because he is so similar to Batman in many ways: He lives in a fictional NYC (Yes, gotham is the city), he is a bit of a playboy, he was orphaned by bad men out for ill-gain. But he is also different: is self made, he lives on the Upper East Side (but fights crime in Hell's Kitchen but occasionally can be found in nasty bars in Brooklyn getting some good info), and he is blind. This last part is the great part. I mean, a blind superhero? That is great!
Of course he has all of those powers that make his being blind a moot point but damn, dude is blind! He is also a handsome devil. I would recommend the Frank Miller Daredevil (as FM's stuff is always tres awesome!).
So the kids have all gone home for the holidays and I still have to work and I am hungover. Yuck.

No comments: