Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Things purchased today at a local bookstore and other stuff...

So I went to my favourite big box book store because I had a coupon today and I bought a few things.
1st)














My previous copy of this book was left in good hands in NYC. But another less marked copy was necessary. Buying this was like purchasing a new bible. King James Version.
2nd)














This one I attempted to contact a colleague about after leaving a voicemail I bought. I read the preface and introduction in the car in the parking lot. A choice purchase.
3rd)














Shut up...

Well here I am writing a blog while my dressing mixture cools. I have been slaving in a hot kitchen soothing my frayed nerves with cold beer and the sweet sounds of the Joy Division. I think my stuffing will be the best thing I have ever made. I have a dynamite white cornbread recipe, some great local sausage and fresh tarragon. My grandmother is sick and my parents kitchen is under renovation so a great deal of the cooking has fallen to me as I have the only functional kitchen and can be trusted with heat sources. I have mixed feelings about this because it is yet another sign of the loss of youth. Cooking large meals was always an adults respsonsibility and now here I am making homemade mac and cheese, fresh greenbeans, dressing (not stuffing mind you), and the gravy. All homeade with no aids from betty crock-o-shit. Yeah, that gray will be roux based! What of it? The turkey, pie, and rolls are left to someone else. But probably about 75% of tomorrow meals will have my sweat, dollars, and spillt beer in it. I do not bemoan the work or cost but simply note the transience of time and notions of "being old enough." I think we are supposed to think that stages in life are atomistic and discrete events but this seems to not be the case. Some things are ceded early than others. I suppose W. James was right about this.
Tomorrow I am thinking of having some of my older cousins over for drinks. That is where we will make the decisions about what to do next. This will be the last F family christmas with the family in this configuration and that is sad. But back to cooking for the time being.

No comments: