Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I had a dream about Cornell West and now everything is different.

I am not one to put much stock in dreams as having any real meaning but I do find that they inspire some good thinking.
I have had what now is a series of dreams about my mom calling me to discuss my eduction. When she does I am doing something else. Usually something antithetical to my receiving of a good education. This particular night I had actually gone to see Cornell West speak. But just minutes into the talk I began having stomach troubles. I ran home and began having even more serious problems. I will not elaborate. My mom called me in the midst of all of this to talk about how I need to get my shit together. There was more to the dream. I think Dr. West died. I was in a car heading west on I-40 on a cold gray day. I can't remember the thread or theme of the dream after that. And then I woke up. So there I was, on my back, in the dark, awake thinking about Cornell West and the new (and much cooler) thesis topic came to me...

Enough of that for now. Here is a present.

A Natural Ghost from Wilson Wolf on Vimeo.

2 comments:

moi said...

wow. may be freudian of me but i think "get your shit together" is what i take from the dream, literally and figuratively. binge, purge. cornell dying; what does this mean to you?

it took me six months to get my thesis topic solidified and even then it wasn't until a certain part of my anatomy was broken that everything came together in a blinding flash of light. and out of misery clarity was born (and a tattoo). the cycle continues. i expect several more posts of this nature. cheers.

Anonymous said...

yeah, my dreams are always somehow about my eduction and my mom too.