Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My New Postion...

So, my employer reassigned me last week. I moved out of the deaf school and into the alternative school of my home district. From this school my clients are culled. If you have never been in an alternative school (visiting or pupil or otherwise) you should. These truly are the forgotten of our world. Turfed around until they finally land in a place that heralds optimism but where hopes are few. Few of these kids teachers expect for them to graduate and that seems to create a cycle. I am not that the teachers can truly be blamed too much. They work hard but restraints from everywhere and seeing their good work undone at home defeat them at every turn. This is not the school of Foucault and far from the democratic hopes Dewey envisioned for modern America yet this school is all too American.
I like the kids. The are earnest and for themost part tolerate little bull shit. From anyone. In any form. There are even a few with gravitas. We will see how it goes.

No comments: