Sunday, October 12, 2008

Statistics and Reflections

Since 0730 friday:
Number of Hangovers: technically 3
Sandwiches Eaten: 3
Number of Christmas Presents purchased: 1
Drinks consumed: untold
Pitchers of Bloody Marys: 3
Fights: 0
Close Fights: 4
Times thrown up: 2 (both in the same 12hr period)
Guys who asked me "How's the weather up there?": 1
Cab rides: 1
Trips to Springdale: 1
Road Sodas consumed on trip to Springdale: 5
Cowboy hats worn: 2 (one white, one black)
Places stayed: 2
Nights stayed where I had planned on staying: 0
Ryan Adams records listened to: untold
Times I fell in love with Neko Case: 1 (so far)
BBQ's slept through: 1
4 hour naps which made me sleep through BBQ's: 1
Hours spent insane and drunk: As many is it took I suppose.

I am hungover as I write this. I am not at home I am far away from home. I am in the northwest corner of my state in the hills. I am less than well. I came on this trip to think and luckily my shenanigans and drinking have afforded me just the right amount of time for that. I also came to see old friends(old in all senses that it can used here). I had forgot how much younger I am than some of them. They talked about things they were doing in 1997. They were almost 20 and I was just getting first dusting of what would eventually turn out to be a pretty unruly beard. That being said, I hope I am have as vibrant and lusting for life when I get to their age as they are. My hands are shaking... My brain hurts...
This town is beautiful. I can only liken it to what it would be like if they built a college town in central park. If central park was very hilly (which it sorta isnt, especially when compared to this town). I like it here. I sat in on two classes on friday: Classical Ethical Theory and 19th Century Continental Philosophy. Aristotle is an alright guy. I forgot how much I hate Hegel. Muddled, overwrought, ontologically deranged Spinozism. I find more and more beauty in Spinoza the older I get and the more I learn to think. It is the simplicity of it that I like. I mean this drive for desolation also brings about problems but I see the need, the desire for an ontology like a desert. I can dig it. Simplicity is being able to look at what other decry as a problem and you being able to say, "No, take two steps to your left. See? It is not a problem you were just standing in the wrong place." I am hungover as hell...
My friend C's blog has become all about graffitti in the NYC you should read it, here you go.
My friend E's blog has a much more sensible discussion on it this morning you should it, here you go.
IN fact you should probably stop reading thsi blog all together and just read their's. Though I wish ol' C would update his more often. I need more water. I need to go back to bed.