Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Chilly Night.

Well here I sit. A stiff drink to one side and a stiff dose of Hillary Putnam in the other. My mind is a fire. I have not been so able to concentrate on the work of philosophy since who knows when. I find signs of progress. A quip of West's that indicates that he could see a sliver of light but not the big picture. I have the audacity to accuse Rorty of a misstep. I can respectfully spit in the face of my heroes. Even John Dewey fails me at points. But I can pick up and move on. There is work to be done just less than we all assumed.
Today I worked through various accounts that attempt to explain Dewey's account of experience. The notion of epistimic factors that allow us full access to the real world. Epistimic factors that limit our access. All tosh. We merely construct these problems as we villify them. But when have philosophers not been prone to scream at the voice of god when it is merely the wind. Look to experience Dewey says:

"Experience is primarly a process of undergoing: a process of standing something; of suffering and passion, of affection, in the literal sense of these words. The organism has to endure, to undergo, the consequences of its own actions.... Nothing can eliminate all risk, all adventure."

Empiricism is not necessarily out but it must accept that true and available pulchritude of the human condition.
This is not the silliness of Dasein, the sufferings of being amongst some amorphous "other." This is pains of existence. Our essence might not be predetermined by the hand of god but it is more truly forged by the pains of inflicted by others than the by choices that we ourselves inflict upon our very own person. I admit that my stiff drink might have eroded my since of composure but I find myself more charged now than ever to make my statement and be down with the whole silly affair. I do believe there to be few problems facing the philosopher but that what pitence of inconveince remains is the only task worthy of our attention.

And don't we all love some adventure in our lives?
McCain will lose. This is almost a foregone conclusion.
My vehicle was stolen a few nights ago. I am only now allowing myself to be insulted by such a violation of my person. It is not so much that it was a thing but that it was mine. And a hard won "mine" at that. But then again this is part of the adventure of it all.
Some of you should be expecting mail.

No comments: