Friday, July 25, 2008

Durty South the New Hipster Me Has Arrived!

"Being from the Mississippi Delta is sooo ironic. It's the new Bushwick (as Williamsburg is now no longer cool)."
Thanks to a steady diet of collard greens, Miller High-Life, BBQ, coke, bible reading, and American Apparel shopping I now look like this kids!

My hometown has its own "hipsters" though this is not an entirely genuine statement. Most of what you could call "hipsters" in my town suffer from none of the ironic pretensions of their east-cost(i.e. Parsons School of Design/L-Train Commuting/LES chilling) brethren do. In this town I am considered a hipster. I like PBR and have been known to listen to certain bands that are associated with being a "hipster." I am listening to TVOTR as I write this. I think I need to think about all of this. Not so much what it says about me but about regional cultural incongruence. Who knows, maybe I will invest in skinny jeans or a keffiyah. Nah, I will stick with my cowboy boots and un-ironic Enya listening for the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't hear, cowboy boots, plaid shirts and noise remixes of Enya are all the rave her in NYC.

"Sail away, sail away, sail away..."