Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Getting Older..

I am aware that many of you who read this blog are older than me so I pray you indulge me for these musings. All of us are a product of our different experiences and as such any musing on age would have to be different from the musings of an other...
Well, I have reached the 25 year mark. This age has only recently come to resound in my ears and send shivers over me. It seems to be an age which connotes, no demands, a watershed moment. I would not go so far as to say it is that point where the wave breaks and begins to roll back into the see but it is moment that demands you to scan the horizon and try and take in the vista before you with all of its shadows. It seems to demand a cutting away, a cuttin' loose as we might say here in the durty south. Or an emandation as I like to say. I have begun a systematic plan of how to go about getting ready for the rest of my life. I would like to think that I have my youth but years of abuse and ideas about the future simply demand that I begin to no longer think about my time as infinite or that my body can sustain its current level of abuse (or sponging as you might call it). I do not think of this as a depressing thing but more of a liberating sensation. Because every avenue we decide to close makes the others more deliberate and clear. I know this all sounds kind of dramatic but it is. I am not one who things about age in terms of wrinkles or bad backs but simply in terms of how much time do I have left to do the work I have set for myself and more over what work is there which I hope to set before myself. Of course, the Heideggerian point of the ever-presence of death looms always but it is now an even more serious point of consideration when I consider that I am on prescriptions for seemingly everything at this point and that I drive like a depraved loony. The end may not be nigh but it is not taking a nap. So what does this all mean practically? What "work" do these considerations due? I am not totally sure but I cleaned up my desk today and burned a bunch of old notes and papers so I deem this to be a good start.

No comments: